What am I talking about?!
The mothers out there are nodding. They know it's hard to believe but TRUE. I hadn't LEFT Soren for a single night since he'd been born. Not until last Thursday.
Did you hear that right? Dr. Soren will check out your ears if you think they're not working correctly...


These cute pix are not just window dressing, they're a tribute to my parents (pictured) for agreeing to keep Soren at their house for a tad over 24 hours so I could escape unencumbered to Seattle. They did this not knowing if they would get ANY sleep that night. Because they love me!Thankfully their home is filled with things fascinating to Soren, including this doctor's kit that I played with as a little girl. He loves to give check-ups.
OK, so back to my story. The seed for my escape was planted in the theatre, of all places. I don't go that often, but one of the plays I saw in the past year was an incredible one-woman show performed in Port Townsend called "The K of D: An Urban Legend." The actress, Renata Friedman, grew up in PT and has hit it pretty big in the theatre world. She took this show to the New York Fringe Festival, and right now it is showing at the Seattle Rep.I knew I wanted to see it again.
I wanted to take my best friend, Sierra.
I considered taking my husband, but a Thursday night worked best for everyone else involved, and he had to work Friday.
And bad luck, I came down with a wicked head cold the day before all this was to transpire.
I wasn't breathing well enough to sleep well during my first guaranteed-uninterrupted night in 2-1/2 years, but oh, well. Sierra and I enjoyed dinner out and the play was smashing (we had seats in the second row). We stayed up past midnight just talking and blissfully slept in till 9:30 a.m. A short time later my mom left a message on my cell phone that started, "You have left us a model child..." and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
I didn't suffer separation anxiety -- and, it turns out, neither did Soren. But I was worried for my parents' peace of mind. How cheering to hear he only called out my name upon waking from the nap I put him down for, and after that he didn't ask for me again. He didn't ask about nursing, either (yes, we're not weaned, something I'm usually grateful for...), but happily drank the warm milk I suggested offering. In fact, he didn't cry or fuss once the entire 27 hours!! And then he slept 11 hours straight that night, a near record.
When we were reunited, he had a meltdown a mere two hours later. So it goes.
It was a busy weekend, because after all the planning and packing for the sleep-over Thursday night, Soren and I scurried home Saturday night to plan and prepare for a baby shower I hosted Sunday afternoon. Actually, Soren and Jeff were ordered to vacate the house so I could clean and party-prep. Then 12 of us gathered at The Roost to bestow blessings upon my dear friend Audrey, whose second child is due in just a few days.Here we are, hands on her big belly, wishing the child safe passage to this world.
I wish for Audrey a night away LESS THAN 2-1/2 years from now!

1 comment:
OMG i used to have that exact same Fisher Price doctors kit when i was little!!
Post a Comment