Sunday, December 6, 2009

New camera records lagoon, tree-lighting

Main Street, Port Townsend ~ annual tree-lighting ceremony at Haller Fountain, shot from steps connecting downtown with uptown.

For months, I've known I needed a new point-and-shoot camera to carry in my purse or diaper bag, and finally I am the proud owner of a Canon IXUS 800 IS (6.0 megapixels). It's part of the Digital ELPH Powershot series, and my father-in-law Jim helped me find and purchase it on e-Bay over the Thanksgiving holidays (my first auction, and an interesting experience in itself). It's a second-hand camera we got for a really good price, and an early Christmas gift for the Randall Roost. Thanks, Jim & Gloria!

I took it for a test run yesterday and recorded these shots of our visit to the lagoon to watch the ducks and downtown (after dark) to watch the tree-lighting ceremony. All were shot with no flash, which is my preference. I'm pretty pleased with the results, and the resolution -- these could be printed at 8x10", which is good for photo books.

Soren & Shelly at Haller Fountain; no flash, color-corrected (to a point!) in PhotoShop.

Sign in window of Wandering Angus, the Celtic shop where we buy our favorite Irish-blended tea (Barry's Gold Blend).
Soren & Jeff at Kah Tai Lagoon; county courthouse clocktower in background.

Jeff & Soren at the lagoon; cold and windy!

No comments: